The 491 Regional Work Visa – Quick Guide
491 Visa Applications for Tasmania are now OPEN.
The Australian government sets a nomination quota for each state, every year. This means even if you meet the nomination criteria, it is not a guarantee that you will receive the invite.
Since this is a points-based visa, the best way to ensure an invite is to achieve the highest points possible.
See updated points test here:
There are 3 criteria for onshore applicants and 2 criteria for offshore applicants.
CATEGORY 1- TASMANIAN GRADUATE:
The eligibility criteria for this catagoty is as follows:
1. You must graduate from a CRICOS registered tertiary institution in Tasmania. This means the institute must be registered on CRICOS and must be tertiary.
2. The course you’ve completed/are completing must be 1 of the following:
– Either a Bachelor or higher degree
– A diploma
– Certificate III in Trade qualification (skilled occupation must be listed under Major Group 3 in ANZSCO )
3. The course duration must be minimum of 1 year (40 weeks)
4. You must be a full-time on-campus student
5. You must have lived in Tasmania for at least 1 year during your period of study
6. You must be “currently” living in Tasmania at the time of lodgment and should be able to provide proof of your ongoing commitment to live in Tasmania.
Once you have all these in place, you can lodge in Expression of Interest for 491 visa.
CATEGORY 2: Working in Tasmania
The eligibility criteria for this stream include:
1. EMPLOYMENT IN TASMANIA
You must have been employed in Tasmania for at least 6 months right before you apply for state nomination.
1.1 The employment does not have to be in your nominated occupation.
1.2. The employment must be at least 35 hours per week in a full-time job or 2 or more part-time jobs.
1.3 You must be able to provide evidence of employment such as payslips, bank statements etc.
1.4 You must fulfill an ongoing skill shortage in Tasmania
1.5 Your employer’s business must be “well-established” and active in operations for at least 12 months in Tasmania.
1.6 If your employment is in a position mentioned in ANZSCO skill level 4 or 5, then your employer MUST provide evidence that no local person was available to fill the job position.
(To know more about how to fulfill these criteria please email us on email@example.com)
2. LIVING IN TASMANIA
2.1 You and your dependents (if any) must be residing in Tasmania.
2.2. You must be able to provide evidence of genuine commitment that you want to continue living in Tasmania
Category 3A – Overseas applicant (TSOL)
In order to be considered for this category you MUST be living OVERSEAS and fulfill all the below mentioned requirements:
1. Your nominated occupation must be listed in the Tasmanian Occupation List
2. You or any other dependants of yours must have NOT lived in Australia in the past 12 months.
3. You must meet the English requirement specified on the TSOL for your nominated occupation.
4. You must have met the “other requirements and notes” portion in the TSOL of your nominated occupation.
5. Unless your occupation is not a “high demand” occupation in the TSOL, you must provide evidence that there are sufficient employment opportunities (minimum 5 and maximum 8), in your nominated occupation in Tasmania. And that you possess:
5.1) Skillset and recent work experience relevant to your researched employment opportunity.
5.2) Skills and experience relevant to the Tasmanian economy.
6. If your occupation is listed on the TSOL as a “high demand” occupation and you meet all the requirements, then providing the employability evidence is not necessary.
7. You must have access to sufficient financial assets to fund your immigration and settlement costs in Tasmania for a minimum of 6 months while you may be seeking employment.
ONLY FOR ENGINEERS:
In order to be eligible for visa state nomination, you must meet the requirements mentioned above and also provide evidence of ONE additional registration or competency as listed on TSOSL in your nominated occupation.
CATEGORY 3B- Overseas Applicant (job offer)
If you are OFFSHORE and you’re looking for employment in Tasmania, you must meet the following criteria to be eligible for this category:
1. You must have a formal job offer from a business that’s based in Tasmania AND it must be in your nominated occupation
2. You or your dependents must NOT have lived in any other Australian state or territory in the last 12 months.
3. Your employer’s business must be “well-established” and must have active operations in Tasmania for the last 12 months.
4. There must be a “genuine” need for your particular occupation/ position within the business.
(Please reach us out on hello@pathmigration to know how this requirement can be fulfilled).
CRITERIA 4 – Family in Tasmania
In order to be considered for this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Your IMMEDIATE family member:
1.1. Must have been an Australian Permanent resident or citizen for at least 12 months, before the lodgment of your application.
1.2. Must be a resident of Tasmania for at least 12 months.
1.3 Must be your: Parent, brother, sister, child, aunt, uncle or grandparent.
1.4 Must agree to support you in Tasmania especially with your employment seeking process.
CRITERIA 5- Small Business Owner:
In order to be considered for this category, you must be living in Tasmania at the time of lodgement of your application and you must fulfill the below-metioned criteria:
1. You must be able to demonstrate that you have an established business that is in operation in Tasmania for at least 6 months.
2. That must be the “sole owner” of this business
3. You must be able to demonstrate that your business will be able to give you a personal income that will meet or exceed the minimum taxable income requirement ($53,900) per year for at least 3 years.
For this category, all applicants must provide a comprehensive business plan.